I may be a 25 year-old woman, but that's no reason to act like a grown-up all the time! Sometimes I feel like kids get all the best things, their games, TV shows, everything is just so much more fun! Look at hooping, the craze sweeping the blogosphere, traditionally a school playground game, I say bring on the childishness, growing up is boring!
Some of my favourite memories of my childhood involve the following:
- Lego! - It's just brilliant! If it wasn't so expensive nowadays (and for some reason seems only available in sets now, not just loose bricks), I'd build a lego city on my living room coffee table!
- Awesome Kids Food - I'm not talking about the happy meals, I mean school lunch box food, the sort of thing that comes in brightly coloured packaging and requires you to dip or construct your food out of processed cheese slices and crackers.
- Scalextric - another one that's really expensive now, but I used to love playing with slot cars, going too fast by accident and watching them fly off at the corners, and smelling the ozone smell that always came from the controllers after I'd been playing for a while.
- Teen books - Point Horror books were a particular favourite, as were The Babysitters Club books, Sweet Valley High and of course, everyone remembers Judy Blume's Forever (I still think of it and occasionally giggle to myself whenever I hear the name Ralph)!
- Collecting stickers - I had a huge collection, I've no idea what happened to them all! I think I became bored of keeping them in an album and gradually used them all up.
- Plushies - My bookshelf is full of them!
- Friendship Bracelets - as well as those split-heart "best friends" necklaces, they were practically a contractual agreement to remain friends forever and at the time, we took them very seriously!
- Great kids TV - Today's shows just doesn't measure up to the television of my day (*grumble grumble*) though I must admit I do enjoy the odd episode of Hannah Montana. I'm talking about such works of genius as Clarissa Explains it All, the best British TV show ever made - Knightmare, all those great Australian shows that were always on the BBC such as The Girl from Tomorrow and Round the Twist and the original Transformers to name but a few!
- The days when going to the cinema was a great afternoon out, and we'd go early to eat ice cream in the cafe upstairs, then hang around quite happily afterwards, discussing the film until our lifts arrived.
- Magazines like Shout with it's soap gossip, fashion spreads from Tammy Girl and period problem column, and Smash Hits (RIP) with it's awesome pull-out posters and free sticker sheets.
What do you remember and love from your childhood that you'd still happily amuse yourself with today?
Monday, January 26, 2009
- fun times
- guest post
- wise words