I'm a great believer in the power of music and most of my favourite bands and songs are those I associate with a particular time in my life. This is a list of bands and music that have had a real impact on my life.
- The Manic Street Preachers - I can trace my love of this band back to when I was around 9 or 10 and suffering from insomnia. I heard a track of theirs on the radio at some crazy hour of the night (well, crazy for a child anyway) I think it may have been Motorcycle Emptiness and decided they were great. Years later, I still love them and many of my closest friends are those I've met through the band in some way or another.
- Therapy? - This band were my icebreaker when I first arrived at university. I went along to the first Rock Society night at the students' union, shy and terrified, but when Troublegum was played, I mentioned I loved the song, was introduced to the society's resident Therapy? fan and that's pretty much how I broke the ice with the members of the society I would later become chair of for a year.
- Metallica - Another band I loved since being a kid, and the one that got me into "heavier" music. I think liking "alternative" music that barely anyone else at school enjoyed helped me to pretty much avoid having that early-teenage "must conform!" phase that so many go through. I simply didn't enjoy the music it was "cool" to enjoy, so I didn't bother trying.
- Zeromancer - My feel-good music, dancing around my room to this band has always instantly brightened up my day and they are still my music of choice to listen to whilst getting dressed for a great night out.
- Traditional goth bands such as Bauhaus - They were so much a part of my identity for such a long time and I still listen to them now (but there's a lot more colour in my wardrobe!) Despite supposedly being "depressing" music, these bands remind me of so many good times!
- VNV Nation - Starting to listen to electronic music coincided strongly with really getting to know myself properly and becoming the person I am today. I think it also helped encourage me to stop wearing so much black and again, there are so many good times I still associate with this type of music.
- Dir en Grey - This band remind me of 24 hot, frenzied hours in Berlin with no hotel room booked, wandering around all night seeing the sights and taking in the history of the place after an amazing concert!
What bands, songs and genres do you associate with the great times in your life, that influenced you as a person?
Monday, May 04, 2009
- fun times
- guest post
- wise words