Music That Shaped Me

1, 2, 3, 4

I'm a great believer in the power of music and most of my favourite bands and songs are those I associate with a particular time in my life. This is a list of bands and music that have had a real impact on my life. 

  1. The Manic Street Preachers - I can trace my love of this band back to when I was around 9 or 10 and suffering from insomnia. I heard a track of theirs on the radio at some crazy hour of the night (well, crazy for a child anyway) I think it may have been Motorcycle Emptiness and decided they were great. Years later, I still love them and many of my closest friends are those I've met through the band in some way or another. 
  2. Therapy? - This band were my icebreaker when I first arrived at university. I went along to the first Rock Society night at the students' union, shy and terrified, but when Troublegum was played, I mentioned I loved the song, was introduced to the society's resident Therapy? fan and that's pretty much how I broke the ice with the members of the society I would later become chair of for a year. 
  3. Metallica - Another band I loved since being a kid, and the one that got me into "heavier" music. I think liking "alternative" music that barely anyone else at school enjoyed helped me to pretty much avoid having that early-teenage "must conform!" phase that so many go through. I simply didn't enjoy the music it was "cool" to enjoy, so I didn't bother trying. 
  4. Zeromancer - My feel-good music, dancing around my room to this band has always instantly brightened up my day and they are still my music of choice to listen to whilst getting dressed for a great night out. 
  5. Traditional goth bands such as Bauhaus - They were so much a part of my identity for such a long time and I still listen to them now (but there's a lot more colour in my wardrobe!) Despite supposedly being "depressing" music, these bands remind me of so many good times!
  6. VNV Nation - Starting to listen to electronic music coincided strongly with really getting to know myself properly and becoming the person I am today. I think it also helped encourage me to stop wearing so much black and again, there are so many good times I still associate with this type of music. 
  7. Dir en Grey - This band remind me of 24 hot, frenzied hours in Berlin with no hotel room booked, wandering around all night seeing the sights and taking in the history of the place after an amazing concert! 

What bands, songs and genres do you associate with the great times in your life, that influenced you as a person? 

10 comments:

Gayle said...

The Doors were a huge influence on me and I met one of my greatest friends through a conversation about Jim Morrisons at Uni. 16 years later he's still one of my best buds.

Probably the longest influence has been Henry Rollins. I like (some) of his music but mainly just him and his spirit. Very cool guy.

Most recently I have got into Bad Religion in a big way. They sum up my love of rock music and politics and the lead singer is a lecturer in Anthropology and Earth sciences as UCLA. The man is vastly intelligent - am slightly in awe of him :)

Gayle x

Ms Constantine said...

I have way too much to write about this so I'm going to do my own post. :]

I'll just list the music that has been a big part of my life while I've been doing my growing up in approximate order of age when they were important...

Megadeth
Spice Girls
Limp Bizkit
Eminem
Incubus
Rammstein
Alien Ant Farm
My Chemical Romance
Coheed and Cambria
Mindless Self Indulgence

Megan said...

Oh geez. Music has been such a big part of my life for so long. In fact, I actually remember the first song I ever got "addicted" to, and it was "Fallin'" by Alicia Keys.

My taste in music is ever mercurial, but here is a list of some of my past (and present) favorites.

My Chemical Romance
NSync
Blue October
Anna Nalick
Family Force 5
Flyleaf
Franz Ferdinand
The Beatles
Maroon 5
Matchbox 20
Michelle Branch
Our Lady Peace
Shiny Toy Guns
The Veronicas

Anonymous said...

No Doubt
AFI
Tiger Army
Catch 22
K-os (this one is kind of random...I've never been a fan of hip hop, so it's kind of bizarre that I'd consider K-os influential)

Emsk said...

AC/DC!!!

Jezzabelle Giggles said...

umm.. i grew up listening to eminem and tupac, along with many others, but these two people sure made me think alot about life, and what i wanted from it. songs from Back Street Boys and Spice Girls were the background music for most of my puppy love during my childhood... ah... sweet memories of the past.

Mavis Ang said...

the beatles
ash
travis
spice girls
white stripes
the strokes

are just some of the few, and music continues to change my life everyday.

IndigoFay said...

Spice Girls
Eminem
The National
The Editors
Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Lanika said...

Tupac
Neutral Milk Hotel
Nirvana
Imogen Heap
Alanis Morissette
Barenaked Ladies
The Cranberries
UnderOath
Matthew Good
MIA

Anonymous said...

Edith said...

There are the groups that influenced me as I grew up, off the top of my head:

Michael Jackson
Duran Duran
NKOB
Guns N' Roses
Nirvana

(Gosh, this is really aging me!!)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe