Rock Ballad Love Songs Best Listened to on Cassette Tape




* So, we've all got a pile of songs in our brains that have become inexplicably associated to a very specific time and place, like that Firehouse song from 7th grade that transports you back to the cafeteria-cum-dance floor and the adolescent love/hate dalliance that set your pants a blaze. Hormones, Firehouse and 7th grade dances. Oh, my.

* There's also that cheesy Whitesnake song, whenever I hear it, I'm 8 and riding the school bus. Ears are covered with those foamy headphones and that song is blaring on my walkman. The cassette tape is one I took from my uncle who was 17 and lived with us at the time. I can smell the gravel road and the plastic bus seat.

* Guys, remember Warrant? Remember the song "Heaven?" Whenever I hear this, I remember long summer days at the lake with the kids of my parent's friends, who are still my friends now. We got to drink generic sodas, get a suntan and wear wet swimsuits all day. Now we drink cheap beer, but we wear sunscreen and remain dry.

* What about Mr. Big's epic "To Be With You"...come on, you want to sing along! We didn't have cable or MTV, but my friend did, and I saw the video and almost died at a very young age. Just crank it. So silly, sooo good. It's okay if you watch the video twice, secret's safe here. I've linked the karaoke version just for you.

* Finally, REO Speedwagon's "Keep on Lovin' You" is so out of control, you can't even stand it. The slow build, the pianos and guitar solo; dudes, the heartbreaking story of lost love. I'm pretty sure this song was on the radio the first time I drove my mom's Thunderbird on the back roads into the sunset. A summer driving lesson. These days I'm really partial to a version by Evan Dando.

So, those are some of my guilty cassette tape-era guilty pleasures. What're yours?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe