Posted by The Naked Redhead
I'm not a crier. Period. I've actually had friends look shocked when I've cried, and have even had one friend go so far as to ask, "Um, can I hug you?" But there are a few reasons that I will immediately cry...no BAWL...like a baby. Here they are, in no particular order:
1. Any animal related tragedy--My mom often tells the story of one Saturday morning when I was about ten and I came rushing downstairs SOBBING. After her initial incorrect guess that one of my brothers had popped me one (not an unusual occurrence, really), she finally dragged out that I had just completed my first viewing of Where the Red Fern Grows. To this day, I can't watch 3/4 of the shows on Animal Planet.
2. Any unexpected kindness or goodness in a person (real or fictional)--Usually if I'm watching a movie and a questionable character suddenly reveals pure motives (anyone catch Glee last night?) I'm DONE. Oh, and don't even get me started on if someone whom I don't really care for or know gives me a hug when I'm angry or upset. DONE.
3. Unsolicited kindness--A few years ago, I was going through an extremely difficult time in my life. Without prodding, one of my friends looked at me for a moment and then out of nowhere said, "You're a good person, you know that?" Sheesh! I'm getting all teary even thinking about it. (BTW, if you're thinking something nice about someone, SAY IT. You never know how much your words can mean to someone in that moment.)
4. Any time one of my friends is broken and hurting--I'm usually the "strong" (read: "practical", "levelheaded", or "bitchy") one in my friendships, but I can't handle it when one of my favorite people bawls in front of me.
5. Getting so angry I could break something--Every once in awhile, I'll get so mad, the tears flow like a river. And then I get more mad because I'm crying. Gah!
What gets your waterworks going?
- fun times
- guest post
- wise words