A list for a lovely lady



My mother-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer this week. She's an amazing lady—she teaches 6th grade! need I say more?—and she's beaten cancer before. So this week I though I'd list some things I love about her.

She has the best Christmas tree every year. Seriously, this lady's tree decor can't be beat. Hundreds of ornaments, one on every branch. Sparkling gold curlicues bursting out from every angle. Red poinsettias tucked into shadows. And to top it off, a glowing Snow White.

She can wrangle a classroom full of 11-year-olds. Identity crises? Onset of puberty? Nothing frightens this woman. And what's more, she actually teaches them things.

She LOVES Disney. Not only does her love of all things Disney appeal to my inner child (the one that wanted to be a Disney animator), she has a timeshare that she shares with all of us to spend a little time at The Happiest Place on Earth.

She's travel savvy. This lady knows how to plan a trip. From a Grand Western Tour of the United States to numerous trips to Europe, my mother-in-law not only knows how to get from here to there in style, she can plan it for a huge group of students and their parents to boot.



Do you guys have a mom-in-law or potential mom-in-law? Why not try listing some things you love about her. You just might like it.

9 comments:

That Kind of Girl said...

Hugs to you and your mother-in-law! I have no mother-in-law or potential MIL, but my ex's mother is a fantastic lady who I particularly admire for taking up a crazy hobby (horseback riding) as an empty-nester and being brave enough to travel literally all over the globe to enjoy it.

Slamdunk said...

Sorry to hear the news.

The mother-in-law list:

1) She is giving.

2) She is intelligent and willing to share her insights

3) Even as grandma, she and her husband spend 40+ hours taking care of the Mrs. sister's young children.

4) She is proud of her Irish roots and has visited her mother's country several times.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

I had a mother in law.... she passed away 3or 4 yrs. ago... Unlike u I did not develop a fondness to her... She was very self centered and thought the world evolved around her...That may sound harsh but anyone who knew her would agree and its a shame her sons and husband enabled it.

NGS said...

My MIL:
1) Loves her son (my husband) so much that she cries every time we leave.
2) Makes sure there's food we like and can eat at her house even if we're going to be there for less than 12 hours (that seriously happened once).
3) Never looks askance when we use her washer and dryer.
4) Writes the sweetest, nicest emails ever to me.

Ali said...

Your MIL sounds like one amazing and fun woman!

The Naked Redhead said...

Oh, Erin...I will be thinking of you and your family. Your MIL sounds like a kick-ass lady.

My boyfriend's mom rocks. She took me to get my first massage, she bought me a Slanket for Christmas, and she's one of the best listeners I've ever met. She's beat cancer, too, and is one of the bravest people I know.

Literary Crap said...

Your MIL sounds wonderful. I'm so sorry the news.

My boyfriend's mom has not hidden that she doesn't like me. She flat out asked him, "When are you going to be done with her?"
His grandma and aunt, however, love me. They told my boyfriend if we broke up, they'd keep me and not him!

Ana said...

She sounds wonderful :) I wish her all the best and I hope she gets through it again!

Anonymous said...

bape shoes
fear of god
palm angels outlet
cheap jordans
kd 12
supreme shirt
supreme
off white hoodie outlet
supreme outlet
kd 12 shoes

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe