Really cool movies you may not have seen



I've been a movie fanatic for years, but lately I've come across a few fairly recent but highly under-publicized Movies That Could Change Your Life.

The Flying Scotsman. A bipolar Scottish cyclist goes for a world-record on a bike made of old washing machine parts. So. Good.

In America. A contemporary Irish family emigrates to New York. At the end I asked Noah, through tears, "Are you crying too?" His response: "No [sob]!"

Music Within. My uncle has cerebral palsy, and Michael Sheen absolutely rocked my face off as a man with cerebral palsy. In my opinion, he outdid Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot. Oh, and Ron Livingston = Also Amazing.

Before Sunset. Apparently this is a sequel to Before Sunrise, but dude you can watch this as a standalone work of dialogue genius.

Once. This actually won an Oscar for best song in 2006, but I didn't see it until last year. It's been called the best music film of our generation, and I believe it.

Any hidden gems you'd like to share?

Posted by Erin of The Fierce Beagle

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw In America the other day. All I can say is, wow! It brought me to tears as well.

Kiri said...

Not only have I seen the Flying Scotsman, but I actually know the guy who played Chris Boardman, it's my only claim to fame.

Not seen any of the others though, I shall have to see if my wonderful local video shop has any of them.

Nikki Griffin said...

I LOOOOVE Before Sunset, but I don't think it can possibly be the same unless you spent a whole decade wondering if they ever did get back to that train station after Before Sunrise.. they are so right when they say in Before Sunset that depending on which way you envision the ending of Before Sunrise makes you a romantic or a cynic.

I've seen both movies a hundred times and I agree that the dialogue is stunning, Richard Linklater is a genius!

Sadako said...

Haven't seen In America but really want to now!

Jim Smith II said...

Thanks for listing "Flying Scotsman" a woefully underrated movie. Also, while it's not necessary to "Before Sunrise" before you see "Sunset" it does make the second story deeper.

Eternal*Voyageur @ Venusian*Glow said...

My list would be:
Baraka (very unconventional, no plot line, amazing music, will move you to tears)
Dancer in the Dark (Bjork ! Heartwrenching !)
Waking Life (another Linklater masterpiece)

Anonymous said...

Weight of chains (documentary film) and Oldboy. The latter is rather disturbing and makes you uncomfortable but is unmatched film noir / art house. Brilliant movies.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe