Costumes I want to wear for Halloween, but am not creative enough to pull off



Halloween costumes are a tricky thing.  Creatively, it’s a time to go nuts – come up with something super unique and cool.  Realistically, if you are a woman, your prefab costumes are mostly relegated to the Slutty category: Slutty Nurse, Slutty Witch, Slutty Cat.  I’ve fallen victim to that myself, tangentially, as Dead Madonna [“singer”, not Catholic Icon] [there, the Slutty is implied].  This year, I’m having a hard time coming up with something super neat and creative, non-slutty, and easy to pull off.  Here are some ideas I’ve come up with.

Lady Gaga – Sure, me and everyone else.  But you have to admire an entertainer who is such a presence that she inspires regular people to want to evoke signature moments in her career [Muppet dress, meat dress, weird red veil thing].  This is a step up from a few years ago, when everyone wanted to be Siegfried and Roy but only because Roy was attacked by that tiger.  Sure, some of her stuff is revealing, but it's more arresting than prurient.

Mad Men – I must confess, I find this show almost enragingly dull.  I’m convinced that the only reason people love this show is because of the beyond cool aesthetic and because everyone smokes and drinks at work, just like we all wish we could.  Still, I’m taken by the smart, polished clothing and sleek hair, and would really love to pull off that look.  At least for one day.

Katy Perry – Talk about topical.  This would probably be the easiest to pull off – revealing dress, black hair and an Elmo doll, singing something catchy but banal. Still, this is a bit too close to the Slutty thing, and I’m thinking I might have to pass.

Chilean Miner – For the life of me, I can’t remember the lovely Twitter Friend who suggested this [because I am a bad, bad person].  I love this idea, though I’m not sure how to pull it off.  I’m no fan of dirt.  I’m not a runner, like that one miner.  I don’t have a miner’s hat or even a pick ax.  I guess I could stay home and pretend I’m trapped in the mine.

Looks like it’s back to being Stuff You Find Under the Couch for me [black top and pants, debris taped onto my clothing].  What are you going to be for Halloween?  What was your most creative costume?

By Suniverse

12 comments:

Miss Dizzy said...

I'm being a soldier! I have a camo t-shirt and green cap from the army-navy store; now I just need to find some pants. I guess I could do the "slutty" thing because I do have army green high heeled boots, but I was hoping for comfort since I plan to take my youngest trick-or-treating. I am going to do extreme makeup, even though I'm sure an army chick wouldn't wear any, bc when else can I wear tons of makeup & not have everyone think I'm a tramp? I just have to figure out how to do camo face paint :)

magnolia said...

i like the "stuff i found under the couch" idea! that's clever as hell.

i originally thought i was going to be a cheerleader. but the closer we get to the big day, i think i'm actually going to go as a supportive girlfriend, staying home with the man. his roommate's got this insane plan with heavily involved costumes, and the man's going along with it out of resignation, to such an extent that i've told him that i'll find a way to get him out of having to go if he wants. we'll see...

Caiti said...

I think my most clever costume was a "loofah"...I wore green & wrapped myself it green tulle....

but this year, i am rockin the beard to support my baseball team - i'll be dressing up as brian wilson.

however, i went to a swing dancing soiree and my wilson costume went right over their heads...

Karolina said...

Where I come from we do not celebrate Halloween, but when I spent 3 Halloweens in the US as a kid, my costumes would show the change of my interests - age 6: "regular" princess (red-gold-black dressy dress, a beautiful crown made by my mom), age 7: Princess Leia (mom's white T-shirt as the dress, dad's belt, toy gun, obvious hairstyle), age 10: a witch - and I don't remember my costume.

In a few weeks I'm attending a Japan-themed birthday party, so I intend to make myself a sushi ensemble (with a shrimp-hat if I have time).

Marie said...

In middle school I was broccoli. Poor choice for an already nerdy middle school kid. I wore all green with a green felt "stalk" around me and beanie type hat with balls of green paper on top.

Melanie's Randomness said...

Marie Antionette! I would love to do the fake head and everything!!!

Tonya said...

I applaud you on the dead Madonna thing. This is what I try to tell my husband every year: take something and make it dead, this is what Halloween is all about (although sometime I'm talking about him...and how he should sleep with one eye open). Therefore, I think all of the above are super fab ideas just make them dead: ex. Katy Perry in tattered dress, eyeball hanging out, lots of matted hair....
I do really LOVE the going as what's under your couch!!! That kicks ass!

Suniverse said...

You all are brilliant!!

Anonymous said...

For YEARS I've wanted to be Carmen Sandiego ("Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?"). Except I have yet to find a fabulous, yet cheap, red fedora and tench coat. Sigh. Maybe one day it will all fall into my lap...

ttalgi-ttalgi said...

I really want to go as a film noir woman in all shades of gray except for red lips...or a little sister from Bioshock!!! Or a nurse from Silent Hill (that is bordering on slutty though), or something steampunk related. I would love to be something victorian too. Sigh...

GrandeMocha said...

"It's raining cats & dogs" I have an umbrella with stuffed dogs & cats hanging from the points with blue ribbon (rain). Last year I was Sookie from True Blood & the year before I was Tina Fey as Sara Palin.

Love "Stuff You Find Under the Couch". I should probably move the couch & see what's under there.

Daughter of a King said...

This year I'm going for slutty in that I will be one of the girls from MTVs "16 and Pregnant." (I'm sorry, is that horrible?) My roommate will be accompanying me as my baby-daddy.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe