Things Even This Grumpy Old Curmudgeon Loves

There are things you like in life. There are things you love. And then there are things -- just little things -- that turn this often punishing world into an endless carnival of delight. Here are a few of mine:


The way only my sister can make me laugh until I'm in physical pain. Maybe it's because she has 24 years of practice, but nobody can make me laugh like my sister, until I'm gasping and cursing at her to stop.

A slice of really good pizza. The kind you get from little corner stores, that you have to fold over to fit in your mouth and that funnels a little stream of grease onto the paper plate below.

That moment of anticipation before a first kiss. Who knows what will come of it, but in those breathless, heady moments before anything happens, things are just too perfect to care one way or the other.

Laying outside in perfect weather and reading an amazing book. I like that this feels so extravagant. Here we are, already living in the best of all possible worlds, yet choosing to immerse ourselves in a fictional one instead. An embarrassment of riches that I embrace time and again.

The way my best friend gets more beautiful every time I see her. And we've been having the same mile-a-minute conversation since the day we met each other, six years ago. Every stretch of time we don't see each other feels like nothing more than a breath between thoughts. I guess that's how you know someone's going to be important to you forever, huh?

Huh, I tried to think of more, but it seemed greedy to even list that many. What makes your world perfect?

Posted by TKOG from Not That Kind of Girl.

9 comments:

Lou said...

"The way my best friend gets more beautiful every time I see her."

I have the same situation. Every time I see her, I wonder how I never pursued her when we were noth single. Now she is married to a total douchebag. :(

magnolia said...

i would extend the anticipation of the first kiss to any kiss with someone with whom you're totally smitten. i find myself totally ridiculously head over heels these days, and that heady moment right before we kiss is still the same as it was in the beginning.

sorry. lord, that was sappy. i'll redeem that by saying how i totally agree with you about good pizza. nothing better.

Anonymous said...

My sister does the same thing. Thank God for sisters. :)

The Naked Redhead said...

Oooo...the first kiss anticipation, combined with the whole "new" crush thing. It's completely exhilarating, and it's awesome to just kinda have your brain shut off and only be focused on one thing.

I also love snuggling with puppies. It's hard to be super grumpy when there's a little being who loves nothing more than stealing every ounce of heat it can from you. :)

nikki said...

It's such a cliche for a parent to say it, but it is so true that the worst day can be made better by a hug or kiss or an "I love you mommy," from your kid. Especially when it's one of those out of the blue expressions that he initiates, not me.

Anonymous said...

Cosign nikki. "I love you, mom" = best feeling ever.

Also, puppies. And, the entire plane ride on the way TO somewhere. That feeling of anticipation is such a rush!

Cyrus said...

Hmm, two thin- no, three things that immediately come to mind:

1. Getting caught in a torrential downpour. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I adore the rain. When I'm walking along and suddenly the skies open up and soak me so thoroughly it's like I just dove into a lake, it makes me feel absolutely giddy and so alive. Then there's the excited rush for cover and if you're with someone, you get to admire each other's drowned cat look while giggling like a coupl'a preteen girls.

2. Colourful, striped socks. I don't know what it is about them, but if I feel like a day's going to be painstaking, I throw on some funky socks and every time I look down at my feet, I just have to grin.

3. Starting a trip either really early in the morning or really late at night. If you leave in the afternoon or evening, you have all the time before that to get consumed with mundane things. At those specific times, it feels like you're sneaking off on some grand adventure, a journey that's distinctly separate from your daily reality.

Of course, now that I've listed a couple things, I keep thinking of more and more, but this comment is long enough as is. >.<

C said...

I love the unexpectedness of what might come out of my husband's mouth. I never, EVER know exactly what he's going to say. Sometimes we'll just be talking about something mundane, like past jobs we've had, and he'll have a story that ends, "And that's the only time I've ever been shot at."

He's crazy, and I'm addicted to it.

Suniverse said...

Oh! I love that waiting for the first kiss moment. So delicious.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe