Who Do You Want to Be? Mother-Daughter Duos.



I have a daughter, and I want our relationship to be wonderful.  I am also a daughter, and my relationship with my mother during those awkward teenage years was fraught with angst [it’s much better now, thanks].  It’s normal to look to other relationships to check against your own, right?  These are the ones I’ve considered.

Joan and Christina Crawford [Mommy Dearest].  The mother [and daughter] of all mother-daughter duos.  As a kid when I read this [and saw the marvelously campy movie], I was appalled at Joan Crawford’s behavior.  As a parent . . . well, I haven’t hacked any rose bushes or beaten my kid with wire hangers, but I get where she’s coming from.

Lorelei and Rory Gilmore [Gilmore Girls]. Oh. My. God. It’s what I aspire to as a parent.  Lorelei is gorgeous and funny and smart and so so so loves her daughter.  Rory is gorgeous and funny and smart and so so so loves her mother.  Plus, snappy patter!  And the kid goes to Yale!  What’s not to love?  This is my goal.

Lucille and Lindsay Bluth [Arrested Development].  Wait.  Maybe this is my goal.  Yes, I know Lucille and Lindsay are evil toward each other, and are probably not the best role models.  BUT! The biting, bitter give and take is addicting.  I wish I could watch Lucille be nasty to Lindsay over [“You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.”] and over ["I know. But it's an elephant and I didn't want to invite the comparison." ] and over [“Dinner's ready. We're having Lindsay chops. What? I just wanted to be ready in case some bully at school was as clever as I am."] again.  Oh.  Wait.  I have the DVDs.  I guess I can!

Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher [Delusions of Grandma, Wishful Drinking, Postcards from the Edge].  If you have read any of Carrie Fisher’s hysterically funny books, you will be standing in line right next to me so that we can be BFFs with these two wickedly awesome women.  I am not kidding you – I want to just be around them all the time so I can watch them interact.  And listen to Carrie tell stories about her I honest to god can’t believe it life.  Also, Debbie Reynolds?  Fantastic. 

Joan and Melissa Rivers [Ubiquitous].  No. Just. No.

Who are your favorite [or not so favorite] mother-daughter duos?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher would have to be my favorite pairing.

JenBetweenDots said...

I love Rori and Lorelei. Pretty sure my mom and I are more like Lorelei and Emily though...

Anonymous said...

I just got the Arrested Development reference -- why do you watch so many girl shows?

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe