The Best Way to Start Your Day






Every morning, without fail, I eat oatmeal for breakfast.  Oatmeal, no sugar, a little cinnamon, some raisins and a splash of milk.  That's it.  Every day.  I feel healthier, sure, but I start daydreaming sometimes about what I would eat if I was out of the oatmeal ghetto.  Here are some of my favorite cold-weather breakfast foods.


Belgian Waffle.  Oh, my.  My, oh, my.  I love those fluffy, crispy, whipped cream topped, syrup laden little nooks and crannies.  I like to make sure each little square has its own shallow pool of syrup before I eat, but I'm careful to only pour a little syrup at a time, because I don't want it to get too soggy. Not a fan of the fruit topping, though.  That seems overkill.

Pancakes.  I like them cooked in butter on a sizzling grill.  I like the thinner, larger ones, not the little silver dollar ones. These need to be plain, with the syrup on the side, so I can dunk each bite.  I almost have to say that for pancakes, I like the fake maple syrup better than the pure maple syrup.  I think because it's thicker and heavier and gooier.  No whipped cream on these.  Fruit . . . nah.

French Toast.  Again, must be crisp. I don't like them dipped too long in the egg mixture - just a quick drag through and into the buttery frying pan.  I like these with a bit of powdered sugar and real maple syrup on the side.  And if they're made from a baguette?  All the better.

O.k., friends, what's your favorite breakfast food?

by Suniverse

11 comments:

Melanie's Randomness said...

Bacon, egg, and cheese on a bagel with extra pepper and tabasco sauce! Yummy!!!

Melanie's Randomness

Karolina said...

Oh, it depends on my mood... but my mini-list (in no particular order) is like that:
1. scrambles eggs with whives
2. Scrambled eggs with bacon
3. Toast with butter, cottage cheese and brown sugar.
4. bacon. prefferably on a toast. A slice of tomato and some rocket on top of that won't hurt;)
5. Something in between of a pancake and omlette that my mom makes. With raspberry jam!

magnolia said...

ooh. breakfast. damn, i'm hungry now. here goes:

1) pancakes with butter and a little syrup.
2) omelette: cheddar or goat cheese; tomatoes; green peppers; asparagus; onions.
3) toast with butter and strawberry jam.
4) smoked salmon and cream cheese on sesame bagels.

also, a mimosa. or six.

Marie said...

Huevos Rancheros have become my favorite breakfast item by far.

Brandi said...

I'm like you, I can't deal with soggy French toast; totally ruins my whole day man. Bacon...all day, every day. Now I just wanna sit back and nom on some delicious breakfast foods.

nikki said...

Frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tarts. Or cinnamon doughnuts. I'm generally a fairly healthy eater, but my two biggest weaknesses on this Earth are Pop Tarts and doughnuts.

P said...

Pancakes and french toast are definite favourites...

Suniverse said...

You people are making me drool. How could I have neglected bacon? And delicious donuts? And asparagus for breakfast - I want in!!

Anonymous said...

Nutella.

Kim said...

I LOVE breakfast!

My favorites are an egg white omelet with feta cheese and lots of mushrooms, and french toast with powdered sugar, and thin pancakes that aren't at all crispy, and belgian waffles with the fake strawberry fruit topping stuff. I recently bought real maple syrup for probably the first time ever, and I actually prefer the fake stuff.

Belle said...

Banana pancakes with chocolate sauce! Yummmm.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe