I grew up in New York, on Long Island, but four and a half years ago, I moved to a little town in East Texas called Nacogdoches. While the first few months caused a bit of culture shock, and while I often long for things I can't get here (decent bagels, good theater, vegetarian restaurants) I've come to appreciate many things about the place that I now call home. Here, in no particular order, are the best things about my town!
1. The Blueberry Festival - the only state-sanctioned blueberry festival in all of Texas, this yearly event features a pancake feast, a street fair, and a ride to a local farm where you can pick all the blueberries you can carry.
2. Tonkawa Spring - a swimming hole with a rope swing. The best way to cool off during the sweltering Texas summers.
3. Sushi Y'all - our special name for the surprisingly delicious sushi place in town.
4. The Pine Knot - a monthly event where local musicians perform foot stomping tunes in an old church, for free. It's always BYOB and even if the music were terrible, being able to drink beers in church pews would make the night worth it!
5. Lanana Creek Trail and Pecan Park - a 5 mile trail that passes through the biggest, best park in town. It has a really fun disc golf course, which is a great way to spend time outside with your friends and your dogs.
6. Mild Winters - see that picture at the top of the page, of the tulips? I took that last February. Yes. February. Kind of makes the sweltering summers worth it!
7. Friends! - a place is nothing without people, and my town has some of the best ones I know!
If someone were visiting your town, what would you take them? What would you do? What are the best things about the place where you live? I can't wait to find out!
Posted by Chrissy
- fun times
- guest post
- wise words