Random Moving Movie Moments



Erin usually blogs at The Fierce Beagle. She is a travel editor, former Irish dance champion and police wife. Not someone to be trifled with, eh?

Combining three of my favorite things--lists, movies, and alliteration. These few scenes never fail to get me crying, even though they have little to do with each movie's overall plot development. Since I personally hate knowing anything about movies that I haven't seen, I guess I should add a possible spoiler-alert disclaimer. But seriously, if you haven't seen these movies? NETFLIX THEM. Right now.

1. From Little Women: When Jo (Winona Ryder) runs downstairs after falling asleep in her attic writing alcove, she discovers her ill sister Beth's (Claire Danes) bed to be empty...and turns the corner to find that Beth is...ALIVE! sitting up, sipping broth.

2. From Apollo 13: A zoom shot of the NASA radio receiver, on the Lovells' bedside table, broadcasting static while Jim's (Tom Hanks) disabled spacecraft loses radio contact as it orbits the far side of the moon. Marilyn Lovell (Kathleen Quinlan), blurred in the background of the closeup, sinks to the floor, weeping.

3. From Dan in Real Life: Dan (Steve Carrell), who has fallen in love with his brother's girlfriend (Juliette Binoche), brokenly sings a verse of "Let My Love Open the Door" while gently strumming on the guitar.

4. From Sense and Sensibility: Elinor (Emma Thompson)--ever the beacon of sense--finally breaks down, pounding fiercely at her heart with a closed fist, when her overly emotional sister (Kate Winslett) chides her for hiding her true feelings for Edward.

5. From Cinderella Man: James Braddock (Russell Crowe) is hit by what should be a devastating blow in the boxing ring. Fearful that should he lose the fight his family will fall back into poverty, Jimmy slowly rises--unphased--and smiles at his opponent, images of his children having given him strength to remain standing.

What about you? Any random movie moments that get you running for a hanky?

7 comments:

Andrea said...

From the Japanese film 'Dolls': outside the winter cabin, Matsumoto reacts when his former fiancée Sawako shows him she's still wearing the pendant her gave her.

From 'City of Ghosts': Sok the taxi driver finds that something was left behind in his car...

From 'Dr. Zhivago': pretty much the whole thing but especially Yuri's last scene on the street in Moscow.

From 'Love Actually': when Emma Thompson's character discovers that the necklace her husband bought was a gift for someone else.

From 'Muriel's Wedding': Murial's mum goes unnoticed at the church.

The Naked Redhead said...

OH dear lord...my brother and I watched "Where the Red Fern Grows" as kids and bawled for hours. I pretty much die any time an animal dies or gets hurt in a movie.

Emily said...

The Snowman - when the little boy runs out of the house to find his best friend, only to discover that he has melted. The moment that he falls to his knees is killer.

Forest Gump - Forest standing in front of Jenny's grave, when he sobs "I miss you Jenny"

Erin said...

Although I haven't seen the Japanese films, I heartily raise a tissue to all scenes mentioned so far.

sarah von said...

The scene in "Hook" when the lost boys are about to attack the grown up Peter, and one of the littlest lost boys steps up and puts his hand to Peter's face and says something like "I can see you in there"

Sob!

Meadowlark said...

From: A Little Princess. Sara is in the orphanage and through a twist of fate her father, who was only thought dead but instead had amnesia, appears at the orphanage.
She runs to him, but he doesn't recognize her.
Sara Crewe: Papa, it's me! It's Sara!
Capt. Crewe: Do you know me?
Sara Crewe: Papa, don't you remember me? Papa, please! You've got to know me! It's Sara, remember? Remember India and Maya? Remember the Ramayana... and Emily? And the locket with Mama's picture?

He doesn't remember and they take her away.

ohmigod... you can't watch that scene without complete blubbering.

Ana Lo said...

From Little Miss Sunshine.. you won't believe it, but the famous dancing scene makes me cry.
I start giggling, then I'm crying. Everytime.

Also with Disney's The Kid. When Rusty appears I start crying, all the movie *lol*
I just don't watch this one with people anymore *lol*

I love this blog btw :)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe