Songs With Cities in the Title


The web identity DumDiDum refers to the way you're feeling when strolling around, humming to yourself. I'm female, soon to be 29 for the very first time but try not to mind that. I live in Norway and love snow. But I love summer even more. My favourite thing right now is the long summer nights this far north. The sun doesn't set until 10:30 pm!

Musicians loooovvvve to pimp their hometowns through their songs, eh? Here are a few of my favorites:

LA Woman - The Doors

Georgia On My Mind - by Hoagy Carmichael - played by Ray Charles among others

Going to Miami - Will Smith

New York, New York - Frank Sinatra

Detroit Rock City - Kiss

If You're Going To San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair) - John Phillips of The Mamas & the Papas, sung by Scott McKenzie

There should be more songs with cities in the title out there! Can you think of any?

8 comments:

Andrea said...

U2 - Angel of Harlem, New York, Miami, Miss Sarajevo, Fez (my fave band, can you tell?)

Manic Street Preachers - Cardiff Afterlife, Wattsville Blues

Radiohead - Palo Alto

The Clash - London Calling

Simon & Garfunkel - The Only Living Boy in New York (love!)

Pet Shop Boys - New York City Boy

Lily Allen - L.D.N.

Hole - Malibu

and ABBA - Waterloo!

Diana said...

April in Paris, Autumn in New York

Anonymous said...

Hello Seattle- Owl City

I fell in love in Monterrey- Frank Sinatra

I left my heart in San Francisco- Tony Bennet

Perogyo said...

New Orleans is Sinking - Tragically Hip

brodie said...

Adelaide- Ben Folds
and
Adelaide- Paul Kelly

the most joked about city in Australia got itself 2 pretty great songs!

releasealittledemon said...

"Boston" by Augustana

I especially love this song because not only does it talk about Boston, it talks about LEAVING CALIFORNIA, where all my friends have disappeared to and been swallowed up by the parasite that is Los Angeles (I'm not actually hostile about it, but those of us who've been "left" back on the East Coast feign bitterness since we are left drinking at Irish pubs alone.) ;)

Anonymous said...

Meet me in St. Louis- Judy Garland, among others
Vienna- Billy Joel
Amsterdam- Coldplay
Beverly Hills- Weezer
Istanbul (not Constantinople)- They Might Be Giants
Hamburg Song- Keane
The Girl from Impanema
Kansas City

Anonymous said...

Savannah-Relient K
Chicago-Sufjan Stevens

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe