Spectacular - and Perhaps Unknown - Children's Books



Bonnie is a teacher-in-training. She is a big fan of Google reader, Nutella, and sending letters through snail mail. You can read more about her at This Child Left Behind.

Picture books:
1. Flotsam by David Wiesner
- a Caldecott Medal winner, this story has not text, but the gorgeous illustrations make up for it.
2. Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert - A man. Made of leaves. As is everything else that the leaf man meets. Very pretty.
3. Zzzng! Zzzng! Zzzng!: A Yoruba Tale retold by Phillis Gershator. Illustrated by Teresa Smith. - The title is a little annoying (just like a mosquito), but the stay with it until the end, it’s really cute.
4. Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey - A classic, also a Caldecott Medalist. Open Court curriculum uses this, but that doesn’t make this sepia toned picture book any less sweet.
5. My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann - Hilarity ensues. Every kid would want a friend like Rabbit.

Chapter books:
1. The Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black and Tony Diterlizzi
- I was skeptical of this series at first, but it is actually creepily well spun.
2. The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman - Rocked my literary world. The movie is nothing like this forceful adventure.
3. Black Hearts in Battersea by Joan Aiken - British authors are so much more intriguing than American authors for many reasons. This is one of them.
4. Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones - British authors >> American authors, reason #2.
5. Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery - The third in the Annie of Green Gables series, and my personal favorite. Probably because I identify with her character development here more than I do from the other books.

What's your favorite children's book?

6 comments:

D. said...

I love Anne books!

Helen said...

my favourite childhood book was charlotte's web by e b white, i still love it today. my copy is so battered. it's the first book i ever loved and i went on to do an english degree so that book is very special to me.

Bridey said...

+ The Big Orange Splot
+ Narnia Chronicles
+ The Chewing Gum Rescue & Other Stories
+ Any book involving tree houses

Anonymous said...

I LOVE The Golden Compass, and the others in that series. Also, the Anne books get so good after the first 2!
I loved loved loved the Tomorrow When the War Began series. More YA than childrens, but still.

The Naked Redhead said...

My favorite book as a kid was "Magic Elizabeth" by Norma Kassirer. I read that book over and over again. I also read the entire Black Stallion series, all the Little House on the Prairie books a million times, and in my adult years, fell in love with Coraline.

Unknown said...

I loved "Runaway Bunny" when I was a kid.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe