Dance Songs That Cannot Be Resisted


You know which songs I'm talking about - those songs that you are simply powerless against. You could be hung over on a dreary Sunday morning, but then? You hear that songs and it's all dance party, all the time! You're unstoppable! The songs that overwhelm me with the urge to dance it out?

Missy Elliot - Gossip
Now, I don't actually know how to krump but that doesn't stop me from trying. Or strutting around my apartment sassing in time to this song and snarling into the mirror. And generally imagining I am much, much tougher than I am.

Madonna - Hung Up
There is so much to love about this song and video. Abba sample? Check. Pink tracksuit? Check. Intersecting plot lines? Check, y'all. I love this video so much I once wrote a blog post about how if I was reincarnated as a music video, I wanna be rocking out on the DDR machine along with Madge.

Outkast - Hey Ya
Whoa, blowing your mind with my originality, am I? I suspect that nobody with a pulse can resist this song. Once, I was in a tiny beach town in the south of Taiwan with a bunch of friends when this song came over the loudspeakers. We decided we had to re-enact some sort of teen movie music montage and dance down the steps of pub and into the street. And of course, I tripped, twisted my ankle and had to hobble back to the hotel by myself. Screw you, Andre 3000.

Scott Joplin - Maple Leaf Rag
What?! Yes. I think I've overcome my addiction to ragtime piano in my old age, but I spent the larger part of my youth galloping around the living room to the entirety of my parents' Scott Joplin collection. Thankfully, there was just the one album.

Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer
This song calls for some serious fist pumping and headbanging. And if you can resist the urge to yell the chorus, you're probably dead on the inside. Also: this was my favorite song in first grade. Apparently I moved on from that ragtime faaaaassst.

What songs never fail to pull you onto the dancefloor?

Posted by Sarah Von

9 comments:

The Naked Redhead said...

Oh, lord, I'm so original: Baby Got Back.

Anne At Large said...

Mika - Lollipop
Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancing
Abba - anything, basically, except the ballads
Ace of Base - same deal as Abba

I am such a music snob in my day-to-day life but something about these just brings out the poppy Swede in me, apparently.

Luinae said...

Gloria Estefan- Turn the beat around.

Seriously, I CANNOT sit still when that song plays. I start waving my arms and swaying back and forth and tapping my feet. Highly amusing.

Heidi Rose said...

I love lists = I am now following your blog. :)

The Isley Brothers-"Shout"
and basically at weddings, I need to dance to every song. Because how often does no one care if you're a terrible dancer?

releasealittledemon said...

Boston, "More Than A Feeling"
Black Eyed Peas, "Let's Get Retarded"
Bee Gees, "Stayin' Alive"
Beyonce, "Single Ladies"
(I just realized all those artists start with a "B"; totally not intentional!)

I work at a dance organization and we dance to anything and everything, even when there's no music. It's a continual dance party around here and it's completely awesome. :)

Anonymous said...

situation, by yaz
bust a move, by young mc

Catherine said...

"Perfect Gentleman" by Wyclef Jean

And if you like "Hey Ya" look for the slow-dance version by Obadiah Parker.

(Funny, I wrote about dancing yesterday too. Just added a link to this list on my post. Proving, again, that you are awesome like a hot dog.)

Marie said...

Outkast - The way you move, this one gets me even more than Hey Ya
Justin - SexyBack


Anne - I am also in Reno, and I have a degree in music and I still listen to this poppy music and I feel there is nothing wrong with it. :)

Hootie said...

Boogie Wonderland (Earth, Wind and Fire)
Dance Hall Days (Wang Chung)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe