Neurotic Party Planning: a List

photo
I'm in my final preparations for a party I'll be throwing in my own honor tomorrow (hey, if I don't do it, who will?). As a Virgo AND list maker, I have of course been freaking out over minutia for the last three weeks. Here's a small taste of the things I do in my party planning:

1. Clean, clean, clean--A party house is not clean until you have scoured all surfaces in your kitchen and bathroom. And by "all surfaces", I mean backsplash, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator (inside AND out), stove, sink, cupboards, shelves, drawers, windowsills, toilet (inside AND out), shower, shower ledge, and mirror. After that's done, dust, vacuum and mop everywhere. Wash all linens, including washable rugs, bedspreads, sheets and slipcovers. Also bathe stinky, disgusting dog.

2. List, list, list--When I'll be hosting a shindig, I make a list. The list is usually broken up by time frame and task. I.e., two weeks before--send Facebook invite. One week before--scour kitchen and bathroom. Three days before--pick up non-perishable items. One day before--mop. Three hours before--re-wipe bathroom. Get my drift?

3. Delegate, delegate, delegate--When I am hosting a party, I choose to ignore that sometimes when people say, "Let me know if I can help!" they don't really mean it. I WILL PUT YOU TO WORK IF YOU SAY THIS TO ME. Your task may be something small like bringing an appetizer, or it may be larger like going on a wine glass hunt at your local discount homegoods store. Either way, be prepared to be saddled with a task!

4. Obsess, obsess, obsess--Get the details down. List 'em once. List 'em again. Check them off. Did I forget...?

5. Relax--Once the clock rolls around to thirty minutes before party-time, I light some candles and breathe. I've learned that at this point, if anything is not ready, it's not going to be ready, and I might as well enjoy the people, the food, and the wine. But this is also why I prep maybe a little more strenuously than others...no matter what happens, at least I can know that my bathroom is clean. And that, friends, is somethin'.

What do you do to get ready for a party? Is anyone quite as anal-retentive as I am?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Now thats organisation if ever I saw it. I wish I could be even half as organised as you. I think it would enhance my life and time management greatly.

I hope the party goes well tomorrow.

Sam

Heidi Rose said...

What forethought! Sounds good to me! I want to have a super clean house now.

{Tara} said...

I am not a Virgo, but I totally do both of these things: 1. throw my own parties 2. Make lists obsessively!

Eyeliah said...

And I thought I was the only one this obssessed when planning!

prashant said...

I think it would enhance life and time management greatly.
Web hosting india

Unknown said...

Hollywoodmegastore.com has great party planning items!

Friday After Lunch said...

You are not alone my friend. Here is my secret shame: When I plan events, I take my list making to a dangerously OCD level- I make a tabbed spreadsheet.

It's not an understatement to say that I consult/adjust it 2-3 times a day. Here are my tabs: Menu, Guest List (alpha auto-sort I love you), Decorations, Planned Activities, Music, Shopping List, and a to do list that is organized by day for the week leading up to the event.

Yeah. So now you know my secret shame.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe