Things I Will Pick Up Off The Ground


What? Yes. Apparently I never grew out of that childhood habit of picking things off the ground and hiding them away in my pockets for future endeavors. I walk to work every day so I pretty regularly find 'treasures' worth keeping.

1. Coins larger than a nickel
They add up, yo. Also - then I'll have something to give to all the people who hang out at the bus stop by my office, constantly hitting me up for change. "Here ya go! I picked up $1.35 in dimes and nickels on my way here!"

2. Feathers
And sometimes? I maaaay have been known to put them in my hair. Yes. Feel free to puke in your mouths and resist the urge to tell me I'm going to get fleas/hepatitis/gangrene.

3. Pretty Leaves
Again, for hair accessories or pressing between the pages of books. Or I forget about them and my cat chews on them and gets leaf bits all over the sofa.

4. Notes
I live a few blocks from a school, so occasionally I'll get lucky with a note all full of I's dotted with hearts or detailing exactly why "Ashley is a total biotch"

5. Photos
These are gold mines - the occasional rejects from a set of vacation photos are the best I've found, and a few awkward school photos. Set against that awful blue backdrop, brace-filled smiles.

6. Foreign Language Newspapers
I work in Chinatown so really, almost every newspaper is a foreign langauge newpaper. But I love to wrap presents in Chinese script and look at all the pictures of places that I haven't been (yet)

7. Lottery Tickets
Any winning ones yet? No.

8. Anything Shiny
Because, apparently, I'm a magpie.

Am I totally insane? Do you pick up treasures off the ground?

Posted by Sarah Von

11 comments:

The Naked Redhead said...

One time, I was so poor I actually picked up pennies off the ground. Also, I have a really hard time not picking up bits of trash at my workplace...*I* didn't put it there, but it looks gross and I can't handle it.

PS--Ashley IS a total bitch.

jholm said...

Jason and I found a picture of an adorable toddler in the parking lot at the Midway Rainbow once--he keeps it in his glovebox and tells people it's our kid.

Ms Constantine said...

Yep, totally with you. Sometimes I'll even pick up a pretty looking rock.
Or some plastic to reclaim to crafting.

Ali said...

Change - almost always.

I would definitely pick up a note and/or picture! In fact, I think I have.

Anonymous said...

I cannot help myself if I see another persons' list laying on the ground! Usually these end up being grocery lists, but you'd be surprised what people remind themselves to do/etc. in the contents of their grocery lists. And sometimes, the mere things they're shopping for are funny enough alone.

Anonymous said...

I love the notes one...i do that too :)

Anonymous said...

I used to pick stuff off the ground before I moved to the big city where the ground is really really dirty.
And feathers = head lice. Or at least I heard that somewhere.

Jen said...

I'll pick up a penny for good luck if it's not too gross...Also, have you ever considered you might be a mermaid- they like the shiny stuff too.

Eyeliah said...

haha, I will also pick up that nickle and pennies if they look 'lucky'.

Sarah Von Bargen said...

Post-Modern Jen! I think you're right! Now whenever someone hassles me for my shiny habit, I'll point out that I'm *probably* related to Ariel thankyouverymuch!

Jess said...

I will guiltily admit i put potential HAZMAT in my hair as well. and I used to love living near a school and picking up notes such as my favorite I hold onto in my memory, a list some worried kid jotted down:
"-hide report card
-tell mom report card is being mailed
-lice?
-look up funny joke"

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe