Posted by The Naked Redhead
I think it's funny how passionate kids can be about their likes and dislikes. If you had told me at five that one day I would grow up to love dresses, I might have punched you in the nose. Here's a few things I would have bet my Binky I'd never grow to love:
1. Tights--Ugh, as a kid, I hated how TIGHT tights were, or when I'd hit a growth spurt, and the crotch of the tights would stretch like a spring board at about mid thigh and make me feel like I needed to walk funny. I hated that they were hot and made my feet sweaty. Now, however, I'm kind of the "tights girl" at work. Love 'em.
2. Vegetables--Being a child born to parents who often would say things like, "If you don't eat it for dinner, you'll eat it for breakfast," you might understand my childhood aversion to vegetables. Seriously, cold Brussels Sprouts at 7 am before school will scar a kid for life. Now that I'm a little older and wiser, I've grown to love my greens...and love the healthy payoff. I still do not, however, eat Brussels Sprouts.
3. Nap Time--"But I'm not tiiirrreeed!" I'd say every day, secretly suspecting that my mother only wanted us to sleep so she could have some peace and quiet. BUT, do I even need to explain this hate-to-love transition? Mmmmm...naps.
4. Having My Hair Washed--Look, I have a LOT of hair. So, for a kid who often ran in the woods like a heathen, having my mane washed and brushed out was a pain...literally. Since I've become an adult, though, I may or may not have developed a fantasy that involves having my hair washed by one man and another man doing...well, get your own fantasy.
5. Antique Shopping--I used to hate--HATE--when my mom would drag me into antique stores with her. It was SO BORING. Though I don't go out of my way to visit antique shops now, there is something thrilling about walking into a place full of "one man's junk" and finding a treasure.
What did you hate as a kid that you love now?
- fun times
- guest post
- wise words