Things I Hated as a Kid that I Love Now




I think it's funny how passionate kids can be about their likes and dislikes.  If you had told me at five that one day I would grow up to love dresses, I might have punched you in the nose.  Here's a few things I would have bet my Binky I'd never grow to love:

1.  Tights--Ugh, as a kid, I hated how TIGHT tights were, or when I'd hit a growth spurt, and the crotch of the tights would stretch like a spring board at about mid thigh and make me feel like I needed to walk funny.  I hated that they were hot and made my feet sweaty.  Now, however, I'm kind of the "tights girl" at work.  Love 'em.

2.  Vegetables--Being a child born to parents who often would say things like, "If you don't eat it for dinner, you'll eat it for breakfast," you might understand my childhood aversion to vegetables.  Seriously, cold Brussels Sprouts at 7 am before school will scar a kid for life.  Now that I'm a little older and wiser, I've grown to love my greens...and love the healthy payoff.  I still do not, however, eat Brussels Sprouts.

3.  Nap Time--"But I'm not tiiirrreeed!" I'd say every day, secretly suspecting that my mother only wanted us to sleep so she could have some peace and quiet.  BUT, do I even need to explain this hate-to-love transition?  Mmmmm...naps.

4.  Having My Hair Washed--Look, I have a LOT of hair.  So, for a kid who often ran in the woods like a heathen, having my mane washed and brushed out was a pain...literally.  Since I've become an adult, though, I may or may not have developed a fantasy that involves having my hair washed by one man and another man doing...well, get your own fantasy.

5.  Antique Shopping--I used to hate--HATE--when my mom would drag me into antique stores with her.  It was SO BORING.  Though I don't go out of my way to visit antique shops now, there is something thrilling about walking into a place full of "one man's junk" and finding a treasure. 

What did you hate as a kid that you love now?

9 comments:

NGS said...

I agree with all five of those!! And probably add watching football and taking walks to the list.

Heidi Rose said...

I love love this list. I think everyone has things they could add to such a list. Hmn, just to contribute, I'll say that when I was a kid, I hated Pepsi. It tasted gross. Then I got over it, and developed a, "open-minded, I will try anything you will try" kind of attitude about food.

Brittany said...

I definitely have to agree on the tights! I would never wear them as a kid or when I did I would complain nonstop... now I practically live in them.

I hate country music as a kid and now it is one of my favorites... even though I think most of my friends would prefer me to still hate it. haha

Unknown said...

Great list - featured in my 'blog buzz' series of my favourite posts of the week :)

www.jeniwren.com

Miss Sofia said...

I agree with your list, but I'll have to add horror movies. It's not that I LOVE them all, but there are quite a few that I like a lot - mostly really trashy ones, like Dance of the Dead or Lesbian Vampire Killers. As a kid I also hated movie trailers, and now I love them, and I get really excited when there's a new teaser coming up for a film I want to see.

Leilanie said...

Wow. I love your blog. I am definitely a fellow list addict! Some things I hated when I was a kid was definitely nap time and shopping. I hated to go shopping because I would always have to wait around for my parents to finish shopping. Now, I love to shop. I don't really go into antique stores, but I love garage sales. I'm not really one for old things that you would find in antique stores, but more for things that other people want to get rid of. Are you still accepting memberships for the secret society? I will send you an email! :]

BTW, I love the look of your blog! Its such a cute layout! I don't see a credit section, did you make it yourself?

http://travelwithmarie.blogspot.com

emily said...

haha, i agree with everything. (esp. the tights one,i could have written it myself...)

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you on the tights... and I was a dancer when I was younger so I had to wear them all the time!

And I didn't like many foods as a kid that I like now. My parents wouldn't make me eat dinner for breakfast, but they would clean up the kitchen, turn the lights out and set a timer. If I wasn't done when the timer went off, I was done. I got nothing else for the night except water. Read: no dessert. It was rough.

Great list!

~ Jen

Vixel said...

I'm so with you on the antiques shopping! I think at the top of my list would be olives and blue cheese, both tastes I've only acquired in the last few years, yet they are now amongst my favourites!

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe