Stuff I Think is Cute on Other People but Would Look Terrible on Me

 
PS--see all these cute vintage fashions at liebemarlene vintage, one of my favorite vintage fashion blogs!

Remember when Jessica Simpson wore those mom jeans? She probably though they looked super cute on a 6' model with no butt or hips and then tried to put them on her own gorgeous, curvy frame. FAIL.  Fortunately for me, I've (mostly) learned what does and doesn't look good on me...but that doesn't mean I'm not envious of the girls who can pull off certain looks like a breeze.  Here are a few I'm particularly chartreuse with envy about:

1.  Cute little pixie cuts.  Have you SEEN how adorable Carey Mulligan and Ginnifer Goodwin are with their boy cuts?  I, on the other hand, would look completely ridiculous in one of those haircuts.  And if you don't believe me, I'll be happy to show you my 7th grade picture.

2.  Leggings.  I always think the girls that wear leggings and big sweaters look so cozy and comfy and fit.  Sigh...first of all, I'm way too old for leggings.  Second, my butt will not allow it.  Third, I look ridiculous.

3.  Strapless, non-sweetheart neckline dresses.  Renee Zellweger is queen of these, and she always looks fantastic.  Curse you, wider shoulders and flat chest!  Anytime I try on an adorable little sheath dress, I instantly look more like a man.  I'm pretty sure my voice even gets deeper and I suddenly sprout hair on my butt.  Attractive, no?

4.  Effortless, hippie/boho-chic style.  Oh, those flowy skirts and light airy tops.  I look homeless in them.

5.  Drop-waist anything.  I love the vintage girl that can pull of an adorable sailor dress.  Alas, this is one girl that needs to define her waist, not her hips. 

What do you think looks cute on other people?

Posted by The Naked Redhead

7 comments:

Anne At Large said...

Ha, we must be shaped exactly the same! Anything strapless doesn't make me look cute and curvy so much as "dayum those are some broad shoulders". It doesn't matter whether I have a chest or not, it just draws straight line across from shoulder to shoulder and that is not ok.

The Naked Redhead said...

YES! Even the tiniest "V" of a sweetheart neckline helps break up that line, but oh that line is harsh without it! :)

Jillian said...

Halter tops.

Wait-I don't think they look good on anyone.

MSQ said...

I'm with the majority here: anything strapless looks so wrong on me! it's frustrating when I see it on others and it seems ok.

Annie said...

I so wish I could wear hippie chic!

But I am rocking a pixie cut, so hopefully it works for me!

HollyGoNightly said...

Aviator sunglasses. Hands down.

enterrement vie de garçon Paris said...

Aviator sunglasses. i look like a big fly. horrible

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe