Things Everyone Else Seems To Love That I Just Don’t Get

The first time I realized I was a little out of touch with pop culture was in the eighth grade, when one of the popular girls hummed along with the new Eminem single as we worked on a Spanish project. “My name is – my name is – hi! my name is—“ I shot her a haughty glance: “Um, your name is Meghan.”

What can I say? I’m a little out of touch. Here are some other things that the general populace goes (lady) gaga over for reasons I just can’t understand.



Nature: Dude, if you like looking at nature so much, why don’t you take a picture? Oh, oh wait, people have. And those pictures are on the internet. Get a MacBook, Thoreau.

Sex And The City: If I wanted to spend my evenings watching desperate 30somethings with questionable wardrobes, I’d just hit TGI Friday’s happy hour after work.

Clubbing: So let me get this straight. Not only do you want me to shell out $15 for a Dixie cup of vodka and Kool-Aid while listening to music I hate and rubbing myself on the general populace’s sweaty torsos, but you want me to pay for the pleasure?! And what’s the best-case scenario? You spend half an hour gyrating with some guy who, for all you know, doesn’t know the difference between “your,” “you’re,” and “yore” and spend twenty minutes counting his genital warts as you give him a handj in the back of a towncar? Pass.

Indie Rock Ballads: Okay, your songs don’t rhyme. I get that much. But is irony dead? Or were we saying that ironically? Holy god, is irony a zombie?!

Men With Visible Muscle: Whenever I hear a chorus of girls “ooooh!” over Channing Tatum’s ripped physique, I feel like a redneck in a modern art museum. So the bumpy abs and grapefruit calves, this is what we’ve decided male beauty is? I’ll play along, but when they have their mouths closed, all men are about the same to me.

What do people drool over that you just can’t get your head around?

Posted by TKOG from Not That Kind Of Girl.

13 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

How about any expensive chi chi vehicle? Remember Hummers? well I read where they are gonna retire that sucker...WTH, Hummers if anyone remembers are military vehicles, they don't belong on city streets unless that's a sign that we're under attack? same goes for Range Rovers.. sheesh...Use to be where men were the ones driving those things, now its females.... and we all know what they say about men and big trucks, how about women in big vehicles? guess they all have shallow minds and small genitals and boobs.

frockandrollonline.com said...

I'm with you on everything except 'Sex & The City'; I love it!

Alzy said...

I feared I was weird and boring for feeling that way about everything you listed. Thanks for confirming my awesomeness.

I do not understand Dave Matthews Band. I believe he is a separate genre created so frat boys would have something in common.

Blondie said...

I DEFINITELY have a problem with Sex and the City. DEFINITELY.

Anonymous said...

Every one of these is an annoying past time, except for "nature"? I mean, honestly, WTF? You would rather people sit on their asses and look at pictures of nature rather than go outside and look at it themselves (and thus, get exercise, fresh air, etc)? Your attitude is thoroughly disheartening and honestly, pretty typically American. "Why look at nature outside when I can watch it on TV and eat a microwave dinner while doing it?"

Anonymous said...

Annoying PAST time? Ha. Way to go Anonymous.

I like nature. But I don't drag people who don't like it out to see it. That pretty much sucks the fun out of it.

I have nothing against muscles, per se. But they don't really make me drool. Give me a nerd with glasses any day.

Riff Dog said...

Oh TKOG, one day we'll meet (at Art's Deli) and I'm going to help you with this "My Name Is" misunderstanding you have. Because anyone who doesn't like the song must be because they simply don't understand it, right? Right??? ;-)

Okay, I'll give you a pass on Eminem, but if you start hatin' on White Stripes or Muse, I'm going to disown you!

Andrea said...

Hobo bags - they look awful and isn't all your stuff getting damaged and tangled up in there?

Ultimate Frisbee.

Mad Men - I tried, I really did!

Shapeless shoes like Keds or second-hand brogues that are all the rage - feet need support!

The fashion blogger default photo pose: pigeon-toed and pop-eyed. So contrived.

Poutine and smoked meat - maybe it's just because I live in Toronto that everyone seems crazy for these food items but they make me feel icky post-consumption.

Josie said...

1. Dance contest shows. Any of them.

2. Renaissance Art. It's very pretty and stuff, but I just don't find it interesting. They all start to look the same to me. I'll take impressionist and surrealist work any day of the week.

3. Jane Austen Novels. Suprisingly, I don't mind the movie versions, but the books bore the crap out of me. And I like books. A lot. I think Pride & Prejudice is the only one of her books I made it all the way through.

And I hear ya with the indie rock ballads. And while super hard abs and pecks aren't that interesting to me either, I do like visible muscle in the arm/shoulder area.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the muscles and clubbing. I also don't understand:

Lady Gaga- Her in general but, especially the outfits.

Reality tv- Why watch someone else live their life instead of living my own?

Obama- I am a Democrat but, I do not understand why everyone is in love with this man.

Danielle Dadamo said...

Messy Marvina: Everyone fell in love with Obama because he was saying stuff people wanted to hear. Now his popularity is starting to dwindle.

Andrea: Agree with you on Mad Men

Now what things does everyone else seem to love that I just do not get?
--The Television Show LOST: Do not get the appeal and the fandom. They are on a island trying to survive. Big whoop

--The Television Show GLEE: Oh boy singing in a show! It is a musical! It is not like it has never been done before.

That Kind of Girl said...

@Anonymous: I feel you, dude. I get worked up like that when I hear that some people don't love art and literature. Then I reflect on the fact that we all have different tastes and interests and don't yell at anyone on the internet.

releasealittledemon said...

I'm late in commenting on this post, BUT I thought of it because one of my co-workers is (and has been for weeks) listening to a carefully-crafted indie singer/songwriter/whimsical/laadeedaa station on Pandora and it makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a spork. To each his own, but whatever happened to headphones..? ;)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe