Grotesquely Overplayed Trends I Think It's Time to Put to Bed

Sometimes trends grow popular because they are timeless classics on whose empires the sun will never set (like square-toed shoes, swing dancing, and "Bust A Move"). Most of the time, though, trends are fine in moderation -- but once they start showing up everywhere, dude, it's time to take 'em out back. Here are a few over-worked memes that have gone the way of Mambo Number 5.

Bacon: Bacon makes everything better! See, and that's funny because it's delicious but (SPOILER ALERT!) not nutritious! Ha ha ha! ...honestly, dudes, the whole bacon meme is basically a gender-neutral play on chocolate obsession and you, my friend, are starting to sound like a Cathy strip.

Finger Mustache Tattoos: The first five times you see this on someone else's finger, it's pretty cute. The next five hundred thousand times you see it on your own finger? Regret. Use a Sharpie, dude.

Mod Owls: ...and winning points for the most specific over-played trend of 2010. These, taken singly, are adorable, but over-exposure is making me want to punch their cute little beaks in.

Gladiator Sandals: Can't we at least fetishize over a style of shoe that doesn't make it completely transparent that women only wear shoes to impress other women? Flipflops are sexy-casual; heels make your calves look goooooood. The most a gladiator'll do is win you grudging respect from a cut-throat fashionista.

Cupcakes: They're like cake. But drier. Besides, every food-trender worth his fleur de sel knows that macaroons are the new cupcakes.

What current trends are you sick to death of? Am I being too harsh on those cute little owls? Do you secretly LOVE Mambo Number 5? Spill.

14 comments:

Natalie said...

Haha! Awesome list. I know many a fashionista swear by them, but I want skinny jeans to disappear. They look good on about 1% of the population, but they're running amuck and I've had it.

Miss Scarlet said...

I agree about the cupcakes. I think brownies need to wage a war!

Katie said...

I totally agree with the mustache tattoo trend. So over it. I hate when things I love go viral though- I love owls, bacon, cupcakes, and gladiator sandals! I hate that they're too cliche to obsess over now.

Schoenstars said...

Only just about a month ago, my husband told me he saw the cleverest tattoo: the mustache-on-the-finger tat. I don't know which is worse, him thinking that's clever or him just now catching wind of such a stupid tat????

magnolia said...

SO, SO with you on the gladiator sandals! most of my guy friends are confused or put off by them, and i think they're busy and just trying too hard.

i hate that cupcakes got so trendy. i liked them for portion control, but now it's impossible to eat one without people thinking you're doing it to be cool. sigh...

Melanie's Randomness said...

The gladiator sandals must STOP! They look ridicolous on some people! Also the Duck kissy face in EVERY picture! I'm so sick of it!

ttalgi-ttalgi said...

I really want the tank-dress creation to go away...you know, where it's like some kind of plain top attached to an elastic band that acts as a "slimming" belt and then attached to a plain skirt? All made out of cheap fabric? Yeah...no thanks.
Also, "Rawr means I love you in dinosaur" PLEASE make that disappear!!!
I could continue but I'm just going to go grumble in my corner for a while *grumble grumble*

Anonymous said...

I HATE CUPCAKES. I'm such a bad blogger, lol.

Give me tea and scones any day! And now I sound 40, not 14.

Chelsea said...

Macaroons are delicious!! Also, Natalie I completely agree with you that skinnies need to stop. Right now.

RMb said...

haha, i actually totally agree with this whole list!!

Karolina said...

And please - No more wearing leggins (or worse, tights!) instead of pants (no matter if you mean British pants or American pants!)...

Vee said...

Wait, wait, wait. People are really TATTOOING mustaches on their fingers? FIRREALS?!? I mean, I've seen the mustache-on-a-stick or the stick-on-mustache more times than I can stomach, but the tattoo thing.... if this legend is true, I certainly hope said legend dies a fiery death, and SOON!

Unknown said...

I am so over cupcakes. Sigh. But I will not give up on my bacon.

enterrement de vie de garçon said...

Cupcakes
They are too creamy , too sugared, too colored, they are just too nasty, I should had them as food I will never ever taste.
Lilou

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe