It's summer in the UK right now, and strawberries are one of my favourite things about summer! Usually I just eat them on their own, straight from the punnet, no sugar, no cream, just fruity yummyness, but sometimes I like to shake things up a bit. Here's some of my favourite ways to eat strawberries, aside from on their own or with cream.
- Balsamic strawberries - drizzle strawberries with balsamic vinegar, sprinkle with sugar, crack some black pepper over them and allow it to soak in for an hour or so before eating. Delicious!
- Strawberry daiquiri - So much nicer made with fresh, pureed fruit than with a syrup or mix. Fresh strawberries, lime juice, sugar syrup and rum - it's like a delicious alcoholic smoothie!
- Strawberry jam (jelly) - It takes an age to make, but home-made jam is so much tastier than the shop-bought stuff.
- Cream teas - terribly English, scones with sliced strawberries, clotted cream and a pot of tea. Not very healthy, but exceedingly tasty!
- Strawberry Jelly (Jell-o) - Simply strawberry-flavoured jelly with strawberries suspended in it - great at the end of the season when they start to get expensive as it makes them go a bit further!
- Strawberries in champagne - or Cava, or just cheap sparkling wine. Add a little strawberry syrup or liqueur and a whole strawberry or two to each glass, and top up with the bubbles. Soaking the strawberries in vodka beforehand adds a nice kick too!
What are your favourite strawberry recipes?
Monday, July 19, 2010
- fun times
- guest post
- wise words