Stuff I keep around my house whose only purpose is to make me happy


I used to be a pack rat as a kid. I crammed all the furniture, art, knickknacks and posters I could into my tiny bedroom. I even had a wrought-iron basket hanger in one corner. Now I like things streamlined, with a sense of being lived in. I don't mind papers sitting around as long as they're stacked neatly. I don't have a ton of knickknacks, but what I do have on display are things that mean something to me. There are a few things, though, that I keep around just because I adore them.

A map of the universe. This thing is sizeable—it takes up the whole wall between my front door and living room window—and virtually useless, since I don't plan on doing any galactic voyaging in the near future. But I'm an Inner Space Nerd. Plus it's pretty.

A replica steamer trunk full of blankets. Sure I have a linen closet in the hall. Sure I'm much more of a heat person than a cold. But I like walking in the front door and seeing an old-timey chest chock full of cozy.

A sheepskin. I had one when I was a little girl, so when I saw them on sale I had to pick one up. It's draped artfully over a chair in my living room. Although in the dead of winter, I have been known to curl up under it. That baby holds some heat!

A small carving of two wooden turtles. Do they sort of look like a tiny pile of turd from a distance? Yes. But Noah bought them for me for Christmas just two months after we started dating and wrote a little note on the bottom saying, "I hope one day these will find a place on your mantel." Because I had talked about how I looked forward to one day having a house with a fireplace and a mantel.

Anything you just can't live without?

Posted by Erin of The Fierce Beagle

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Books from my childhood. Rocks from my travels. An old sweater I wear to bed when I want to remember being in love as a teen. I love those special items that bring back a million memories.

That Kind of Girl said...

My bust of Lenin and I approve of these treasured objects. (To say nothing of the electric-green piggy bank I keep next to him. It's kind of a Soviet kitsch slash "Animal Farm" homage.)

Deidra said...

Wait....a boy named Noah gave you two turtles? He did take all the animals two by two, after all...

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe