Why Cats Are Better Than Dogs




It’s the age old argument, which makes the better pet, a cat or a dog?  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, sure, but I am going to categorically state that cats are better than dogs.  I know your hackles are raised that I would dare suggest such a thing, but cats really are better than dogs, hands down.  Here are a few reasons why.

Cats are independent.  Sure, that may make them seem standoffish and aloof, but you also don’t have to worry about them slobbering all over you.  They seldom need your attention, but when they want to interact, they will.  They are like the coolest friend ever.

Cats are instantly potty-trained.  Introduce your kitten to the litter box and your work is done.  If you want your life to be even easier, have an outdoor cat as a pet.  Not only will they poop outside, they will DIG IN THE DIRT to cover their poop.  Now that’s class.  Plus, you don’t have to walk around with a bag of poop in your hand.  It’s all kinds of win.

Cats can be left alone for a couple of days.  Try that with a dog.  I dare you.  You won’t.  You can’t.  Because a dog needs CONSTANT attention and needs to be watched.  And that, frankly, is exhausting.  Pets should enhance your quality of life, not add angst and stress to it.  You already have to deal with organizing your own social life; having to organize dog sitters, too? Too much.

Cats are cool.  Why else would the Egyptians want to be buried with their cats?  Or witches use them as their familiars?  Also, please note their ubiquity as a Halloween costume.  Also, Cujo was a dog, not a cat.  See?  Far less scary, too.

Dogs eat poop.  If I have to hear, once more, how dogs are so clean, and how their mouths in particular are so clean, I will scream.  Because dogs eat poop.  Their own, other dogs’, even people’s poop.  They don’t discriminate.  I don’t know about you, but if something ate poop and then wanted to LICK MY FACE with its poop-tongue, I have to say it slides right down to the bottom in the rankings of household pets.

O.k., I know you want to disagree.  Go on, tell me why I’m wrong.  You don’t mind if I pet my cat while I’m reading, do you?

10 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Definitely NOT gonna disagree.. I've had two cats..the latest one thinks I'm her mommy and will sit behind me and stroke and bites my hair.. Vet says she's grooming me....one the other hand, she loves to jump and race and bait me to no end.

Letti ♿ ✡ said...

One of my partner's cats vomited on the rug a few nights ago, and then his dog ate it >.<
Not only that, but he then tried to lick my face and hands.
There's still something slightly adorable about the idiot though.
xoxo

magnolia said...

see, to me, i see a cat and it instantly transforms into a giant allergy-bomb. i could not be more allergic to those things if such a concept were possible. i sneeze, my sinuses clog up, i break out in hives, the whole nine. to the point where if i want to visit my dad and stepmom, i have to time the benadryl dose such that it takes effect before i walk through the door. it's a SHOW.

Laura said...

I'm trying to come around to your way of thinking, since I miss having pets and at this point it's a cat or maybe, like, a hamster or something. But it's certainly not going to be a dog. So I'm trying... But I just don't really see the point in a cat as a housepet. They cost money but they just ignore you. I could get on board with the insta-potty-training training though.

Caz said...

amen to this!
I'm a cat person through and through for all these reasons and a thousand more.

Anonymous said...

I tend to think that owing a cat is like being in on a really funny joke that so many other people don't get. Lots of people think that cats are mean and pompous and made of holier-than-thou-ness. And they kind of are. But the first time you watch them roll over and fall off the edge of a table and nearly pee yourself laughing at their, "No, it's cool, I meant to do that" reaction, you know that they're just as dumb as anyone/thing else and that makes them THAT MUCH MORE AWESOME.

Anonymous said...

CATS ARE GREAT! Not only are they everything you mentioned but cats keep the mice at bay and they eat the house flies that come into the house - no more rodents or flies. Thank you kitty.

nikki said...

I'm definitely not anti-cat. I'm just more pro-dog. See, the litter box thing just gets me. Sure, it's a pain to have to take my dog outside but at least he's not SHITTING IN A BOX IN MY HOUSE. If cats could be toilet trained AND learn to flush the toilet, I'd maybe go over to the cat side of things. But the thought of me leaving for work at 7:30 in the morning, a cat taking a crap IN THE HOUSE at 7:31 and it staying there out in the open until I get home at 5:30? Oh my god, that makes me want to throw up.

Also? My dog doesn't eat poop. She throws up a lot because she has a nervous stomach, but she's been trained to throw up only on her blanket. My sister's cats will just throw up any freaking where. Not even in their litter box.

That said, if I lived in a house instead of a condo and had a mouse problem, I'd totally get a cat. I could probably learn to live with an open-air indoors cat toilet to keep mice at bay.

ally said...

Reason number six why cats kick ass:

They can take their own photograph.
Although I do believe that my kitten was fully trained in using computers in a past life.

The Sequin Cat said...

You have to clean up dogs' poo!
Plus dogs are scary. They bark and chase you and try to bite you. A cat won't attack you unless you've done something to seriously piss it off but dogs will attack unprovoked. And even if a cat DOES scratch/nip you, it's going to do much less damage than a dog bite.

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe