Songs I Like By Bands I Otherwise Loathe

Hey, we all have our guilty pleasures.



"Teenage Dream," Katy Perry: Can't give her any credit for this one -- I was turned onto it by the frothy-fun men's a cappella cover on Glee. Every time Kurt and Blaine are on screen together, my blood fizzes like I'm leaning in for a first kiss that's going to last forever.

"Sitting, Waiting, Wishing," Jack Johnson: He comes from the future-dentists'-office pedigree of reedy snivelers I can't stand, but I'll admit, I'm a sucker for this gently cloying melody. Plus, of all his songs, it has by far the least embarrassing name. Come on -- Bubble Toes?!

"Gold Digger," Kanye West: Kanye's music generally doesn't do it for me, and I'm irritated by the fact that he seems to think he is literally God. But yes, Kanye, I want pre-nup. I want pre-nup.

"July, July," Decemberists: Look, you only get one spin 'round this crazy old universe, and I'm not about to eat up my turn by listening to month-long meandering, maudlin songs about Chinese acrobats smashing up the masts of bottled ship models, or whatever in heaven's name those fellows are wailing about. That said, I'm a little bit obsessed with this quirky, upbeat number from their first full album.

Pretty much anything by Taylor Swift: But don't call me a Taylor Swift fan. My brooding, writerly ego just can't take it.

What songs are you always a bit surprised to find on your most-played list?

Posted by TKOG from Not That Kind of Girl.

15 comments:

Tricia B. said...

Re: Taylor Swift, yes yes dammit no! I have the exact same conflict.

Tic Tok by kesha (or whatever the hell her name is), but only because I saw the Star Trek mashup and couldn't help but love it

Caitlin said...

"Violet Hill" by Coldplay; They're usually not my cup of tea, but I immediately loved this song

I have a similar thing about Jack Johnson, but the song that gets me is "If I Had Eyes" because it's so cloyingly sweet and I tend to get all ooey-gooey puddley about those sort of songs

Karolina said...

Oh, why did you have to remind me of Taylor Swift? Now I won't be able to stop singing "Love Story"... BTW - have you seen the historically incorrect (yes, I'm that kind of person) video (why is he wearing Regency gear while she's wearing a Barbie Doll version of a Renaissance dress? But on the plus side, when I take off my glasses by the end of the clip, the dude slightly resembles Colin Firth - it's the shirt)? The mentioned video that I must be ashamed to have watched twice is linked here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xg3vE8Ie_E

Erin said...

Gold Digger and Taylor Swift, I second. Mariah Carey. Most pop music. It's just so catchy.

kt moxie said...

Oh... Glee's Teenage Dream was so better than the original! And I'm waiting for that first kiss, too!

Victoria said...

Haha, I totally feel you on the Taylor Swift. Her songs are so ridiculously catchy, but you'll never catch me admitting it in public. And to echo a previous commenter, I also have a thing for several Ke$ha songs, even though as a rule, I can't stand her.

Also, "Simple Man" is one of my favorite songs OF ALL TIME, but I can't stand Lynyrd Skynyrd, generally.

The Naked Redhead said...

Holy crap, I friggin' love Katy Perry's "Firework". I HATE that I love it, but love it, I do. I also listened to the Glee version of "Teenage Dream" approximately 7,345 times.

dave said...

I really don't like John Mayer's voice, but I really like "Who says". Go figure!

Annie said...

My favorite line:
And I'll say your camisole's a sprightly light magenta when in fact it was a nappy bluish-gray.

magnolia said...

slow dancing in a burning room, john mayer

never too late, three days grace

hot, avril lavigne

these are all emotional triggers for various reasons. there are plenty of cheeseball songs i love, but the artists are not on my hated list, so they don't count here. (looking at you, "can't fight this feeling" by REO speedwagon, which i understand was also covered on "glee.")

Marie said...

California Gurls - Katy Perry
Party in the USA - Miley Cyrus

Schoenstars said...

Call me what you will, but I really can't stand the Beatles. However, I do enjoy Beatles' covers. Like the movie "Across the Universe," probably one of the best soundtracks E.V.E.R.

That Kind Of Girl said...

@Marie: YES! I'm mortified by how much I enjoy "Party in the USA"! I know it makes me dumber, but for some reason I just don't care!

Stephanie said...

"Umbrella," by Rihanna. I otherwise really really can't stand Barbados Barbie, but after having it repeatedly slammed into my brain for one entire summer at work, that song has entered into my catalogue of songs that will always be good no matter how bad they actually are, in a "screw you, Hanson's Mmmbop makes me SMILE" kind of way.

Anonymous said...

Toxic by Britney Spears. and yes, I'm anonymous for a reason:)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe