MedWatch 2011.

I am something of a disease connoisseur. You may want to think of me as a hypochondriac, but I find that word distasteful. And upsetting. It sends me to my thermometer and Dr. Internet. At any rate, here is a list of some of the things I think I've had.

Great.  I'll probably get this, too.  Damn.
Bedbugs/Lice/Scabies. These are all itchy-making, disgusting, foul, verminy type things that people will tell me about ["Did you hear? Bedbugs from trying on clothing!"] and their stories immediately make me start itching and scratching and oh my god, now I have to boil my clothing. *Shudder*

Stroke.  I fear this, because who wants to suffer from a stroke?  No one, that's who.  I worried more about this before I learned the ways to determine if you've suffered from a stroke [Try and smile, lift your arms above your head and say a sentence.  Can you do this?  Yes? Congratulations! NO STROKE!], but I still find myself concerned when, say, my eye won't stop twitching.

West Nile Virus.  I actually asked my real doctor about this.  In my defense, I HAD been bitten by a number of mosquitoes. 


Liver disease.  I drank quite a bit in my early twenties.  More than my share; probably your share, too.  Of course, while I was drinking, I didn't think a thing of it.  Now? Well, at least the liver is self-regenerating, right?  Right?

Your turn - do you worry about your health?  Or do you really, really think about it a lot?

by Suniverse

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! I itch any time someone mentions bedbugs, scabies, lice, spiders, or mosquitoes. On a regular basis, I also fear I have Parkinson's because I have a slight tremor (have had it all my life, doc says its nothing to worry about). Or that I have dementia because I am rather forgetful, especially mid-sentence (no joke). Oh, did I mention I am 21 years old? Needless to say, I hear ya!

That Kind Of Girl said...

The Bieber Fever photo made me giggle out loud. And oh my goodness, like anonymous, I'm constantly paranoid that I have extremely early-onset dementia (I'm 24) -- especially because when I walk on the street at night, I always see phantom faces in dark cars. Hallucinations, yo. They'll get you every time.

magnolia said...

my grandmother has always been the reigning queen hypochondriac of our family, so i've attempted to moderate my own impulses. but when i do get sick or hurt, i have a tendency to amplify every little pain or twinge. that makes me wonder if i'm secretly far more seriously ill than i think i am.

though it's not as good as my friend's mom. he has a sinus infection, and she says to him, "i hope you don't have leprosy." that was a whole new level - hypochondria by proxy?

Amy said...

Haha, I love this! That photo is great! I too am definitely a hypochondriac. I've convinced myself I have mono, bacterial meningitis, ulcerative colitis, food poisoning (multiple x's), and throat cancer just to name a few. Of course the one time I did have something serious, appendicitis, I had myself convinced I only had a REALLY bad stomach flu till I was forced into surgery :)

GrandeMocha said...

Any time anybody talks about being itchy, I get itchy. Any time somebody vomits or sound like they will, makes me vomit too!

Unknown said...

I'm crazy terrified my birth control is going to give me blood clots! Every bump or bruise I am convinced is a clot. But really I'm just extra clumsy.

Anonymous said...

Haha - this is great. I'm a hypochondriac too :P

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe