Things I Learned in College that didn't Come from a Textbook


My college experience was a little different than most. For starters, I went to a very, very conservative Baptist college where kids got kicked out for drinking and fornicating (not necessarily in the same offense). I also was married by the time I started my Senior year. BUT, I still learned a few life lessons. You know, because that's what you're supposed to do in college.

1. Think about it--No really, think about it. Think about everything you've ever been taught, throw it out the window, start from the beginning and re-think it through. Stop taking everything for granted. Question everything. Yes, it'll get you into trouble, and yes, it may mean that you break ties with people and ideas, but it's awesome.

2.  Trying new things should be a way of life--So maybe I didn't get much of a chance to try a naked keg-stand for the first time, but improv? Strolling around NYC without an agenda? Tasting weird local delicacies? Yes, yes, and yes.

3.  Sometimes the most relaxing thing in the world is a blanket, warm sun, the quad, and the (sights and) sounds of boys on guitars--No explanation needed.

4. The coolest teachers will force you to grow beyond the subject matter--Whether it's your college professor, your boss, or a mentor, the best teachers will ask you to read the book, then challenge you to reach beyond the words and think, "How will I be different knowing what I know now?"

5.  That back boiler room window? Perfect for late night returns/escapes--Er, I meant to say...always have a backup plan.

What did you learn in college that didn't come from a textbook?

Posted by The Naked Redhead

7 comments:

Melanie's Randomness said...

1. If you drink 13 shots of tequilla in an hour you will throw up.

2. You can go to Every Class but if you don't study and READ the textbook you can still fail.

3. That guy really is checking you out.

4. If you slide down the bannister you will get hurt. Your not 5 anymore.

5. Getting up early for the dining hall so your first on line for an omelet is Amazing. =)

Melanie's Randomness

Unknown said...

I love number one! I wish everyone did that. Pretty sure there would be many happier people if they did.

magnolia said...

1) if something isn't working, it's okay to cash in the original plan and try again.

2) make sure someone is sober enough to pay the tab at the end of the 21st birthday party.

3) [this is one that's been amended, but it's related to college.] do NOT throw yourself too hard into that first relationship. you're not fully formed yet.

4) listen to yourself. your instincts are pretty good.

Cheri Allbritton said...

I attended a similar conservative college, BYU.

1.)Naive is naive. I was then and a million years later can still be ~ about the most stupid things.

2.)That people who want to party will pay good money to have someone drive them over the state line into Wyoming to buy alcohol.

3.)That the love of your young life is nothing like the love you choose when you get older. Thank goodness!

4.)It's not a good idea to drive to Idaho in a major snow storm on a Saturday night...for any reason!

5.)That my time there was actually some of the most carefree in my life (but you couldn't have convinced me of that at the time).

Caiti said...

I went to a conservative Seventh-Day Adventist college...Sounds way too similar to your Baptist school...Although I wasn't married by senior year. (I guess I failed that task) but I had friends that were

Anna W said...

I went to BYU too! SO many memories...good and bad.

What I learned was:

1. Lying will save you from getting expelled.

2. Sleeping (to stay healthy) is more important than getting A's.

3. Accepting everything people tell you is the surest way to make a total idiot of yourself.

Dolly Paolucci said...

College isn't just about getting a degree -- it's about HOW you get the degree. Nothing beats the feeling of graduating while knowing that you've made the most out of your stay. College should also be about fun! And #2 is one heck of a great way to achieve that. Spontaneity is the key! :)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

List Lovers Unite

Send an email to listaddicts(at)gmail(dot)com to join the Secret Society of List Addicts
List of Members Secret Society of List Addicts Facebook Group

Top Secret Missives

Enter your details to receive occasional messages from the Secret Society of List Addicts:

Name:
Email:
Subscribe Unsubscribe